Old
04-02-2013, 08:18 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Spending almost all your first rounders for veterans or players soon to hit FA is death for a prospect pool and inevitably borks the cap situation...as we've seen firsthand as fans. Homer has a history of trading his firsts; sometimes in poor deals. It's not unreasonable or irrational to believe there's a chance he does it again, considering his past patterns.
What poor deals besides Eminger? None of his first round pick trades were for players on expiring contracts. Versteeg had another year and was an RFA at the conclusion of that year IIRC. Versteeg, in hindsight was not a good move. Pronger suffered a freak career ending injury. But again, without hindsight, I think those trades most reasonable people would do over again.

I assume you will say the Versteeg trade was bad and you wouldn't do it again, so in advance of that, I would ask why. He was a young player, under contract, putting up good numbers. The team was in first place when the trade was made and coming off of a year where they went to the Cup Finals. Are you telling me you would not have attempted to improve your team, which was obviously a Cup contender, but rather would have held on to that first rounder and hoped that next year (or a couple years down the road) your team was in the same position?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote