View Single Post
Old
04-03-2013, 04:27 AM
INTOTHEVOID
Go right.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
Don't know about Japan, but I spent a couple of years on a long distance relationship with a Canadian girl (I'm from Finland) and last year was an exchange student in Shanghai while my girlfriend went to study in Scotland.

Talk a lot. Make an effort to stay connected to the person, even if time zones can make that difficult. I guess it depends, but I've always liked to talk at least a little bit every day, whether it's via text or phone. Just everyday things, what's going on in your lives etc.

Send packages. For christmas, birthdays, anniversaries etc. If you're staying at "home" and she's going off to the other side of the world, send her packages every now and then with stuff she likes, local candy, books, gifts, local newspapers, whatever she likes. Me and my gf's used to do it a lot without telling the other, then the package would come as a surprise. It of course helps if you can visit her or she can visit you, but the costs of that are usually rather high.

Find something common you two can still do. If you're both Wild fans, watch a game together while talking on Skype. Or both start watching the same movie at the same time while talking. Or if you're into gaming, find some game you two can play online. Just have something you can turn into a date.

Long distance relationships are tough for many reasons. Probably the biggest danger in my opinion is paranoia. You don't know what she's doing there, she doesn't know what you're doing at home. Especially if you drop out of contact for a long while without any excuse, it's easy for the other person to start fearing the worst. So be understanding towards each other, don't think it's just tough on you, it's tough on her also. If you both want it to work, it'll work!

Anyways, in other stuff, someone mentioned thinking about studying HRM? That's my major, I'm currently writing my Master's Thesis on it. It's an interesting area / topic, depending on if you want to emphasize the Human or Resource in the name. Working in an HR department can be rather annoying, there's not much respect for people there and HR concerns usually get pushed aside by accounting or engineering. When choosing to invest on either a training program for employees (that might increase productivity) or new machines (that will increase productivity), most companies choose the later. So sometimes it's hard to get your voice heard in HR.

But if you're studying HRM to become a manager or a leader and emphasize the Human aspect, that can be very challenging, but also very rewarding. Motivating and organizing individuals is not that easy and to be a good leader requires a certain type of personality and attitude. If you feel you could be that person, then go on ahead and try HRM! I've enjoyed it. But I know a lot of people who took HRM, went to work as managers and didn't like it.
Fortunately the money aspect of it is not a big deal, her father is willing to pay for me to fly out there and fly back. So pretty fortunate in that regard.

(also I've never been out of the country even, I've actually only been to a few states, so this is going to be a crazy culture shock for me I think ;_

But I agree with everything else you said, thanks for your insight. I feel like we both want it to work, and as long as we can stay positive throughout and try to be as normal as possible (without being together in person) I feel like in the long run it will be much better for our relationship if we last through it.