Thread: 14 teams..?
View Single Post
Old
04-03-2013, 05:56 AM
Teus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPilgrim View Post
I'm not totally convinced that 14 teams is the right way to go. If you look at this season Rögle and Timrå were too bad to sustain a qualitative league over 55 games. I would prefer if it was easier to be demoted/promoted but still 12 teams. If you expand to 14 teams we risk having the same scenario as Allsvenskan in football were there's a few teams that just isn't good enough over a long run. It would probably also hurt the brand Allsvenskan (ice hockey) which has done a really good job promoting the league and the teams -- what if the that series would only contain teams like Karlskrona, Sundsvall, Asplöven etcetera? That could result in lower incomes for that league and those team, creating an even bigger gap between Elitserien and Allsvenskan.
I think the depth in terms of quality is a lot bigger in Swedish hockey than in Swedish football, which makes it hard to compare the SEL with Allsvenskan in football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
What's the financial situation of teams in Allsvenskan? A poster at the Finnish jatkoaika.com forums said last week he had talked to two guys working for the Swedish hockey federation and that they were very worried about the near future of few unnamed teams there. Grave fears of bankruptcy. They said there were several reasons but the biggest one was Kvalserien and teams economically unhealthy manners in trying to get into that.
One team drops (or almost drops) every other season due to economical reasons.

Some I can think of on top of my head:
12-13: Almost Leksand
11-12: Borås and almost Malmö
09-10: Björklöven
08-09: Almost Malmö
07-08: Nyköping
05-06: Halmstad
03-04: AIK

Spreading out the TV money thanks to more teams going up and down between the leagues would be healthy for Swedish hockey I think.

Teus is offline   Reply With Quote