View Single Post
Old
04-03-2013, 07:41 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
What are you guys thinking about stolarz? He looks like is playing great in London and outed thier starter at the time? Do we have a blue chip or are is it still wait and see?
I'm a very big Stolarz fan and I think we have a blue chipper, but for reasons more than the obvious. You can see the talent in the big kid. He's got fantastic lateral movement, he gets down and up quickly from the butterfly position, he takes up a lot of net space, has a very good glove hand, and he squares himself up very well to the shooter. There are things that he still needs to work on (rebound control mainly and he's gotten much better at puck handling and watching the play in front of him and not losing sight of the puck), but it's the intangibles that he has, that I think, that make him a blue chipper.

He's one of the more intelligent goaltenders in the game. He's a film room junkie and he's always watching game tape to find flaws in his game. He's very coachable and he's always talking with his coaches to try to bring the best out in his game. He has an exceptional work ethic and is usually the first player to arrive to practice and the last player to leave a practice. He's also very big into fitness and is probably the best conditioned athlete on his team. To go with this, he is athletically gifted as Bill Dark, the London Knights goaltending coach, has called him the most athletically gifted goaltender he's ever had to work with.

To me, that's something to get really excited about. You usually hear those comments about forwards and defensemen, but rarely do you hear that about goaltenders. The other thing I also like about Stolarz is that he's already got the Philadelphia mentality - as much as he loves winning, he hates losing even more.

Of note, he's appeared in 32 games so far this year (24 in the OHL including the playoffs and 8 with Omaha-Nebraska in the NCAA). If the Knights make it to the Memorial Cup, he'll end up playing a minimum of 12 additional games. Next year will be his year in London though and he's probably looking at 55 to 60 games during the regular season, minimum.