Thread: Proposal
View Single Post
Old
08-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Mike Komisarek is far and away the best asset in this deal from a Habs perspective, IMO, and none of the other elements added together could provide incentive to move him.

To me, this is clearly a deal fabricated from the minds of those who want to see the Habs sign Dumont, and are putting 2 and 2 together to get 5. We saw this little mutant plant spring from it's earlier seeds, and we see where it is today. Pure nonsense.

Colliton and Bergenheim are nice players who I'm sure Gainey would appreciate. I like them both. This isn't so much about them, or about their value on paper, though. We have bundles of such players on the way with Chipchura, Lapierre, Ferland, White, etc, and there is no real incentive to go trading from one of our areas of organisational weakness (defense) to add more in one of our areas of strengths. It's just not a sensible deal. Komisarek is a rare asset who is evolving into a solid top-4 defensemen, he's not immobile, he's physical, he's improving, and while I'm sure the Isles would be eager to get him, I just don't think the elements mentioned in this deal add up to his potential or his value to the Montreal Canadiens' organisation.

The whole Dumont fever thing in Montreal is bizarre. It must really be slow news times, I guess, when people are still working that angle in, despite all the clear indicators already given by Gainey and Dumont that the Habs are not pursuing him.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote