View Single Post
Old
08-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
If Bob McKenzie ever says anything, I will believe it. He has class and I have complete respect for his entire approach to his job and his profession. That is EXTREMELY rare in the world of sports journalism in my experience.

Even many of the other professional beat writers or commentators often find a strange need to "sell papers" by either fabricating "rumours" or by couching their own speculations or desires in wording that makes it seem as if they were "rumours" (Garrioch, Brooks, Strachan being among the worst such big names, off the top of my head).

Personally, if it's not BM or an NHL GM or other team representative speaking directly, I take it as just being somebody's own idea, no matter how they phrase it. Eklund and the blogger gang are no different than a poster on this board or a "respected" sports journalist of the ilk mentioned above or a PJ Stock-esque radio jock as far as I'm concerned. It's all the same. Fluff as "rumours", but still often worthy of discussion as "proposals"/"fantasies" just because, hey, it's hockey-and-Habs-related.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote