View Single Post
Old
04-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Alpine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Spoke to him yesterday. Has had no conversations with Irving, but all but dismissed it. He's really excited about the 1992 crop of recruits, he and Shannon are familiar with many of them through the V-Reds Prospects program, so they have a valuable in. He's excited about the idea of back-to-back titles and the world university games...didn't come right out and say it, but I think it would take unbelievable coin to get him to leave his situation here...he's close to Roger Shannon, and its interesting that Flynn remains as director of hockey operations, but not GM -- leaving the GM title open to whoever comes in. Still, I don't see him leaving to work for an owner who sits directly behind the bench and working under that microscope and in that structure. He's not happy and content and coasting on his laurels because he's not wired that way. But I don't think Moncton is a fit for him unless its a long-term deal and they bring in the money by the wheelbarrow....
The GM position with the Wildcats is a business job. A better title might be Head of Business Operations. Selling tix, sponsorship. making $. Jeff Rose is the GM. The Wildcats are not just a team but also a business within the Irving Group employing about 100 people. Gm gotta be a tough job, Bad seasons average 4,300 good seasons average 4,500...tough sell
Flynn is Director of Hockey Operations and will basically hire his replacement. This is smoke and mirrors. Flynn wants to focus on scouting and recruiting and leave coaching.
If you read the press release Flynn says that because of hip problems he was gonna leave coaching due to not being able to be on the ice,
Not to defend him... but he's won a Memorial Cup. a Gold or 2 with Team Canada, A Uni Cup with ST FX, a Q title or 2 and made it to the NHL. He doesn't have much to prove

Last edited by Alpine: 04-03-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote