Thread: New Cities
View Single Post
Old
12-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Jets4Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JovOhlund
I still don't know if they could make it work with a smaller arena. The Winnipeg club argues that the American teams average around half capacity or a third capacity. However they can afford to do that because of looser tax laws and the stronger American dollars. Canadian teams need to sell out their buildings to be a success. One other factor is the corporate support. I'm not an expert but I don't think there are many big companies operating out of Winnipeg.

I do wish they could get back into the NHL though.
Call me crazy but I think Winnipeg has a much better chance of bringing the NHL back than people think if the lockout lasts over a year.

Lets get to corporate support now. Every company in Winnipeg would jump at a chance of bringing the Jets back to Winnipeg. The city still moans the Jets, and have never accepted the AHL Moose as a repacement. Look no further than Denver,CO or Minneapolis-St Paul for an idea of cities that didnt realize what they had until it was lost.

Remember in 1972, everyone laughed if you said Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Quebec would have NHL teams before the end of the decade, but it became reality. If the lockout lasts 18 months or more (which I think it will), the NHL will be desperate to move teams to Saskatoon, let alone Winnipeg.