View Single Post
Old
04-03-2013, 02:27 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Again, a smart idea moving Savard to the 2nd line and having Barry to the top line, it is an extremely talented and well built top line.

I agree that the wingers on the 2nd line are below average, but upgrading to Savard helps that line out tremendously. Savard is the kind of Center i'd want to handle that line and as you mentioned could create a lot of offense on his own.

Surely teams will have to load up against that top line so Savard will see easier match ups.

As mentioned that 3rd line has got to be one of the best shut down lines in the league.

I think Chara himself should be considered a number 1 in the ATD. A lower average overall number 1, but defensively he ranks a lot higher.

He and Pronovost pair well together as it allows Pronovost to play his style of play.

Eddie Gerard on a 2nd pairing goes without saying and Numminen is a good fit for him.

Overall with the addition of Savard and Lindsay it provides that extra punch of offense his top 6 was missing.
- Let's call an apple an apple: the wingers on Denis Savard's line are very weak. One bring some two-way abilities, some bring great playoff prowess, but overall it has to be one of the worst tandem of winger on a second line.

- Zdeno Chara is probably average defensively compare to the other 31 #1 defenceman in the league, but definitely one of the worst offensively I would. He brings intangible with his size, shot & elite PK'ing, so that put him comfortably as an ATD #1D IMO. A lower-end though.

- You may be right, but MB's identity as a team was a defensive one, winning 2-1 games. Now, Lindsay and Savard bring more offensive punch to the line, but losing a key defensive contributor, a great defensive player in Red Kelly hurt them. Keats is also a better defensive forward. I liked the fact that MB had high-end and great defensive depth with one great offensive line, with Kelly on the backend to help them out. Yes, a one line team is easier to check (even with this trade, it's still a one line team), but I think they had enough offensive punch to score a few a game, and if Esposito stood strong, definitely enough defensive ability to nullify the scoring chances on the other outside. Now, they might score a bit more, their first line is definitely tougher in all the sense of the word to stop, but at what price? A 5 man-unit of Mahovlich-Barry-Maltsev-Kelly-Chara was tougher to stop than a 5-man unit of Lindsay-Barry-Maltsev-Chara-Pronovost. I think it will depend of the matchup, but I still believe this trade makes MB a worst team overall.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote