View Single Post
Old
04-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
So why did the HHOF Veteran's Committee induct Harry Watson over either of the Gold Dust Twins when they wanted to get another representative from the 40s dynasty?
Thomson was one of the first guys who agitated for a players' union, and he and Conn Smythe had a falling out. Smythe was notorious for holding long grudges and he sat on the HOF committee for ages. Interesting, actually, that Reen's team has two of the guys (Thomson and Jackson) who Smythe hated most. It would be unreasonable to expect him to have much of a shot at the hall under these circumstances. He was a much better and more important player to those Leafs teams than Harry Watson, that's for sure. I thought you knew that.

Quote:
I guess there's an argument for Thomson close to 70 but I don't see him in the high 60s. I remember the project well, and Howell/Flaman/White were the next in line to be added after the top 60 was completed.
The order of players coming up to vote based on original lists is the single worst methodological aspect of the top-x projects, and you know that. It's the reason Frank Nighbor was rated so low in the original project in spite of the fact that all of the well-informed posters knew he was much better than his original ranking. If a guy gets caught low on the original lists because people don't know enough about him, how is that any argument against his career? You can't seriously hold that against Thomson here. He should have been at least up for debate in the late 50's.

Quote:
This is similar to the argument in favor of Jimmy Watson from the 70s Flyers.
Except Thomson was actually an all-star and consistently one of the best defensemen in the league for most of a decade. Watson was obviously nowhere close to that level of importance to his team.

You really like Stanley, TDMM, and call him a steal just a bit after Thomson was drafted. You evidently think Stanley was a #2 defenseman who could have been drafted a round earlier. Tell me why Stanley was better than Thomson.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote