View Single Post
Old
04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
duckchobbins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
What (in your opinion) was more important?

Limiting the impact of the additions, or keeping the assets divvied to a minimum?

Was this the balance we needed?

After the deadline in '11, I felt as though Chiarelli had done the moves that were necessary to bring a Cup to Boston. That we had the league's best roster heading into the post-season. I think we had an opportunity to add those pieces again and do the same THIS year. People were upset about prices paid (we STILL hear about Kaberle and Wheeler and Stuart), but would it have been worth it to bring in a real difference-maker?

Or do you (like Latrappe) feel as though this isn't the year anyway?

I still don't know. For me, Jagr is an entity that I can't accurately assess the value of.
I think the balance of bringing in a quality forward without losing anything of value, and taking a flyer on a reclamation project in Redden (again without losing a darn thing).

I think there are other moves that might have been available but I'm more than happy that Chiarelli balked on anything else. Do I think it's the year? eh, I think they're close enough that it's not unreasonable to believe they should win a couple rounds...and personally that's enough for me to consider them contenders. Let's put it this way, I didn't expect them to win the cup when they actually won it, so I'm done counting this team out.

Bottom line, I think they are stronger today up front and on defense than they were last week (I'm removing Bergeron's injury from this for now). Once they get healthy they are a top 3 team in the East with the Penguins and Montreal.

I completely agree that I can't assess Jagr either. But at the very least he is a far better option than Pandolfo or Caron. Not that I expect him to ride the 3rd line, but if it comes down to it then he's still an upgrade SOMEWHERE.

duckchobbins is online now   Reply With Quote