View Single Post
Old
04-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Grant McCagg

vCash: 500
Hey folks. Just checking back in to talk a bit about the draft.

I have to reconsider some thoughts I had earlier in the year in regards to some prospects. As per usual there have been some changes. It happens every year..players who look good early fall off, and guys who didn't look great early on come on.

For one, Gauthier isn't a candidate to be a top ten pick any more..he really disappointed down the stretch. There were concerns with his creativity early, but when he lost his competitiveness too he really dropped in value. Just saw him three times versus Gatineau, and I don't think he went past the faceoff dot in the offensive zone until Game 6 when they were scrambling for their playoff lives. Looks like a third-line NHL candidate all the way.

I don't know that he's a first rounder any more. Someone will likely take him in the first, but I would have reservations.

Earlier in the year I said I'd take Zykov over Nichushkin in large part because he was already in NA, and Nich had some question marks in regards to his vision and creativity. Well - things have changed.

Nichushkin completely dominated everyone at the last major U-18 tournament. He pretty much solidified a spot in the draft's top 6 even if there may be worries about him being in Russia still, and when he will come over.

Zykov is still a good prospect, but Nichushkin is bigger and faster, simply said.

Biggest late riser would be Morin. Interesting that the top riser and faller would be from the same team, but it's likely the case, in part because a boatload of scouts were at the Gatineau games and saw it for themselves. Morin's skating, puckhandling and confidence has grown as the season went on. Ended the season being Rimouski's go-to dman on the PP and the PK. He may end up going in the top 20...lots of upside even if he's still a project.