View Single Post
Old
04-03-2013, 10:36 PM
livewell68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
I was afraid you'd say Robitaille. Ovechkin is a 2 time MVP, 3 time Lindsay winning, Richard hogging bodyblasting era-defining force of nature. I don't care what he does from now on (thankfully it looks like he's finding himself again), he's already left Luc is his rear-view mirror, even if he retires with less points or 40 goal seasons or whatever comparitively useless statistical feats Luc has on him. Great player, but Ovechkin dominated on another level.

I was hoping you'd mention Ted Lindsay... I'd still disagree but it would make more sense, he's a better comparison
Did Ovechkin have to contend with Gretzky, Lemieux and later Jagr in their primes?

I'm not knocking Ovechkin by any means but Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos and the Sedins have benefited from the fact they did not have to contend with 3 of the 5 best offensive players of all-time to win any of those Art Ross, Hart/ Lindsay awards.

That said, Ovechkin has been a more impacting player than Robitaille ever was. Ovechkin's first 5 seasons in the NHL were some of the most dominant offensive hockey a player has ever played outside of your usual suspects; Howe, Orr, Lemieux, Bossy, Gretzky, Esposito, Hull, Lindros, Beliveau, Lafleur and Jagr.

At the end of the day, by getting back to Crosby, I think unless he wins a few more Art Ross trophies and or Hart trophies in his career, he is going to fall in the Sakic, Yzerman, Forsberg tier when it comes to centermen and overall players on the all-time list.

Last edited by livewell68: 04-03-2013 at 10:42 PM.