View Single Post
Old
04-04-2013, 01:04 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I don't like dumb, inefficient players, and that's what Brassard has always struck me as. I don't evaluate offensive players simply by their stats. That is, of course, important, but you can't understand how strong a player is if you go only on his goal and assist totals, because you aren't getting the story of what he is doing offensively all those trips down the ice when the puck doesn't end up in the net.

Brassard's a poor decision maker with the puck. He wastes a lot of offensive zone opportunities, and he turns the puck over a lot. There is no doubt that he has a lot of talent, but I don't like wasteful players. 50 point players who do more to harm your team than to help it are not uncommon. Hell, you can even find 70 point players that fall into that category, and we should know; we've had two of them in Gomez and Jokinen.

Plus, it isn't as if he's a notable defender. And at 25, the ship has most likely sailed on his "potential." IMO, Ken Hitchcock is a terrific coach, and Brassard struggled mightily under him.

He's not good enough defensively to be a shutdown center, and he's an inefficient offensive player. Where does he fit in? I don't think guys like this make for an intelligently-constructed roster, and I feel that they should be avoided. Granted, I felt the same way about Gaborik, but Gaborik is still a 40 goal scorer as recently as last season.

If the trade was Gaborik and the other crap for Moore, Dorsett, and a 1st, I'd have had no qualms.
Disagree on Brassard. He's not the smartest player, but that doesn't mean he can't be effective in the right role. I think he fit in nicely on the third line, and, of course, he looked creative on the PP. He obviously has some fantastic vision on the ice. He adds skill and speed through the neutral zone, and speed at center. This team has lacked speed through the neutral zone and on the rush all season.

Play him decent minutes at even strength. Let him work his offensive skills on the PP. That's all this team needs to get from Brassard, and it makes them deeper. Who says a 3rd C has to be a "shutdown" center? He's a skilled player, and generally, the best teams have skill on all 3 lines.

By the way, I think Richards is an ideal mentor for Brassard. Brassard emulated Richards a little, tonight. Obviously the sample size is tiny, but he's always had flashes. Change of scenery and playing under a center like Richards could potentially lead to a change in his performance, long term.

Personally, I've liked both these deals since they were announced, so you can't throw me into the "bi-polar" crowd. I had certain expectations as to what these players would bring to the lineup, and they brought it. Hopefully they can continue to do so. No need to be such a debbie downer about it. If all hell breaks lose, hey, let me know, and I'll take my serving of crow.