Thread: Tyler Myers
View Single Post
Old
04-04-2013, 02:08 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
So weak mentally. All the tools are there, just so damn weak mentally.
Agreed - unfortunately, it's also much harder to change that than it is to change some physical weakness or shortcoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshahbaz View Post
He needs to do some intense training like Cody did last offseason.
Being a better conditioned athlete might help but it's not a given that his mindset believes in making that kind of commitment. Myers seemed to dismiss any notions of what most observers saw - that he was out of shape to begin with. Sure, the injury in Europe hampered his training but he got off to a slow start when he went to Europe during the lockout.

His skating and mobility hasn't been as good since his rookie year - probably because he admittedly started trying to take on more weight in order to become a physical defender. Somewhere along the line, his head got messed up about what he wanted to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
I'm willing to give him another season. I don't think the lockout did him any favors. Hopefully he takes his off season seriously.
I don't know - he's got 4 years under his belt as an NHL pro and 3 of them have been seasons of colossal disappointment. It's becoming more likely that the rookie year was the fluke rather than the last 3 seasons being "off-years".

If the Sabres can land another young defenseman capable of being a # 1 (i.e. Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Victor Hedman) by giving Myers up, I hope the Sabres consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Maybe a Jay Bo type career. Could be a #1 in his career but could also be a 2/3 guy.
Fair comparison - I would also toss Roman Hamrlik into the mix as someone highly-touted with a great rookie year followed by mediocre results thereafter.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote