View Single Post
Old
04-04-2013, 04:38 AM
Yossarian54

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
Secondly, he's not a rental. If Erat was a UFA this summer, I could see why people would be screaming about this deal...but he's signed through '14-15. So that's 2 full seasons and potentially 3 playoff runs.
I think this is actually why you'll see a lot of caps fans raging about this deal. An extra 4.5 mil next year makes re-signing Ribero extremely difficult almost to the point of a practical impossibility. The caps go straight back to having no real second line centre.

The caps have 54M committed to 17 players next year, which leaves them with 10M to fill 6-7 roster spots. However, the need to give raises to Alzner (currently 1.7), Mojo (currently .9) and Neuvirth (currently 1.15). I'd imagine Alzner gets at least 3, maybe as high as 4. You re-sign the others and add your 4th liners and 6/7 D-men, and that's it - you're at the cap.

Potentially, you can dump Schultz (2.275) and Ward (3.0), but you still need to replace them both. So if you're lucky, you have 4.5-4.8 to throw at Ribero. Does that get it done? For a UFA 70 point centre on his last big contract? Erat's 4.5 next year is what makes this a bad deal for Washington to me, when you've finally got the 2nd line centre you've needed for, what, 5 years? With Kuznetsov not coming over until after the Olympics by all reports?