View Single Post
Old
04-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed

vCash: 500
And just when we thought the whole 'Otters to Hamilton' story was put to bed...

Bulldogs owner could buy Otters

Quote:
The owner of the Hamilton Bulldogs says he’s interested in acquiring an Ontario Hockey League franchise and helping finance a new arena in which it or the Bulldogs could play.

Bulldogs’ owner Michael Andlauer says he likes the OHL brand and has spoken to league commissioner David Branch about his interest.

“There’s no doubt the league knows I’m desirous of having a team,” he says. “It’s definitely on my radar. It’s all a matter of timing.”

Whether than means now or some time in the future is unclear. That said, Andlauer talked with Erie Otters’ owner Sherry Bassin about his franchise as recently as last week at the OHL Cup.
Quote:
There’s a wrinkle here, though. Andlauer’s new lease and his affiliation deal to be the farm team of the Habs each run for another three years. There is endless speculation that the Canadiens will eventually draw their prospects to a yet-to-be-built arena in Laval leaving Andlauer with an organization but no team.

An OHL team could adopt the Bulldogs’ name and keep hockey in town.

If he bought a team while still owning the AHL team, he says he could possibly have them play nearby for a few years then move them into Hamilton if the baby Habs left town.

Play in Brantford, for example, at the Civic Centre that’s undersized, but might work in the short term.

“I think it’s proven itself in Niagara, so I don’t know why it couldn’t (work there),” he says.

He says his staff could service both teams in the interim.
Honestly, I don't know what to make of it. Part of me is thinking that perhaps something else is going on behind the scenes that might cause Andlauer to think he has to vacate Copps. Why worry now about getting a junior team? He has three years at minimum to worry about affliation or perhaps moving to the OHL.

Well it's never dull regarding hockey in the steel town....