View Single Post
Old
04-04-2013, 08:37 AM
IceHockeyfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansdown View Post
Do you live in Ontario or Quebec? The hockey rivalry isn't there, but the disdain between the two cities still is. That's infectious, and the players on the ice will play that way.
I have lived in Montreal since I was born. There is no animosity between the two cities as far as I can tell. Most Quebecers got over losing the title of "Canada's metropolis" to Toronto a long time ago, especially francophone Quebecers because it was a small price to pay to make Montreal more French-speaking. There is no dynamic between the two cities like there is between Montreal-Quebec or Boston-New York. The only time Toronto gets any negative press (especially in francophone circles) is in the financial section because that is where Bay Street is located.

There might be a Toronto-Montreal rivalry in baseball (when the Expos were playing) or soccer because Toronto is the only other Canadian team in those sports but not in the NHL in which there are 5 teams that represent English Canada. Of those 5 teams, Ottawa seem to get more animosity than Toronto in Quebec.

The Habs played the Leafs twice in the playoffs in the seventies, after 1967, and nobody in Quebec cared because the Leafs were not competitive in that time. Ken Dryden in his book, The Game, talked about how the rivalry is a sham and that it was only driven by the nostalgic media.

IceHockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote