View Single Post
Old
04-04-2013, 08:59 AM
PCSPounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
I am strongly doubtful the AHL would displace any CHL team, Portland Winterhawks included given how long they've been around. I was under the impression that the NHL/AHL had an unofficial agreement with the CHL not to try to displace the CHL from any of its markets, given that the CHL is the source for a vast portion of the AHL/NHL's players.
Only thing about it is Bill Gallacher actually posed the idea of AHL cohabitation with the Winterhawks. Right now, not many people at the league are in love with the Winterhawks, and the WHL has a pretty serious small market vs large market issue to begin with.

Add Memorial Coliseum into the mix. There's an agreement for $30 million in renovations. The city (and behind the scenes, very likely Gallacher himself) has postponed the final financing and the work because of concerns the team may not be viable for several years because of the sanctions handed down in November. Before Gallacher owned the team, they were close to skipping town, albeit because the Coliseum was planned to be bulldozed, but the crowd numbers were worthy of concern. So I'm not sure the usual unwritten rules apply in this situation.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote