View Single Post
Old
04-04-2013, 09:30 AM
pesko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
I'd love to hear some elaboration on this point. If it's personal dislike, that usually doesn't make a very compelling argument.

That being said, Anaheim - one of the top teams in the league, btw - still clocks him around 20 minutes a night, and he's one of their main PK guys as well. Pretty well for a washed up has-been.

Lydman is still one of the best shutdown D options we have available, right up there with Väänänen. I'm not saying that makes him a star by general NHL standards, but it's not like we can be picky. If you really think someone like Melart can challenge him, well... If the guy can make it to this year's WHC team and put up a good showing, then I guess we can re-examine the need to have Lydman. But as of right now, one of them is miles ahead of the other and everybody with half a mind can say which one it is. One solid EHT tournament does not make anybody a best-on-best caliber performer.
Lydman has been pretty bad all season. He's a shadow of his 2010-11 form, and has been a healthy scratch with Ben Lovejoy taking his place recently. He was recovering from injury last year, which explained his poor performance then, but he should be healthy now. He seems to be running out of gas, making bad moves with the puck, positioning badly, being outmuscled in the front of the net.

I have a feeling he might retire after this season, at least I don't see Anaheim extending his contract. It would be a shame, since there isn't really anyone to replace him on the national team.