View Single Post
Old
04-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
I agree and disagree.

I think we're better equipped to play Tortorella's system now. I don't think Tortorella's system can win a cup in the new NHL. The rule changes have opened up the middle of the ice so much more now, you don't win games in the corners.

Look at last year. Round 1 - 7 games; Round 2 - 7 games; Round 3 - 6 games (loss). That's not a ringing endorsement of having a winning, working system. And I think, last year, all things considered with the years we got from Richards and Gaborik and Lundqvist, was the best Tortorella's system will ever look in the new NHL.
I agree with this for the most part. The Rangers luck in one goal games and the fact that they had to absolutely grind their way to Game 6 of the ECF really have me wanting to force that "over-achievers" label into them. These moves alone won't put them over the top, they need to tweak some system things.

That said, even if Tortarella got fired, I still wanted to see Gaborik moved. I am not convinced that his injury was the root cause of his relative ineffectiveness in the playoffs last season. His game, i.e., ninja-stealth, simply does not work against tough defenses that are playing at high energy/effort levels. I am convinced of this, and I'll really be surprised if he proves capable of carrying a team when the going gets tough. This, in addition to the cap implications, made moving him an absolute must to me.

We can debate the return til the cows come home, but that's besides the point in my opinion.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote