View Single Post
Old
04-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Darren Peng
Nang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Well no, you said "it's our fault we didn't do better last year" and neither you or the majority of this years team didn't play last year... Reading too far into it.

This is the first year the U18 tournament was broadcast on the interwebs. I'm talking about selling people on going to the actual rink, not getting people to tune into a free live feed online lol

I'm not saying it's not exciting enough for me and I'm still going to be watching the final game and frankly I'm starting to get a bit insulted. You're making ridiculous assumptions now. That's wonderful for you, that you're in this tight knit community and you guys don't care about anything but watching these guys play in a meaningless (tournament wise, yes it is) game but we constantly talk in these threads about growing the sport. Don't you think it would be beneficial to be getting people to tune into a GB gold medal game, regardless of the division or age group (U18, U20, Senior)? It's likely a lot more attention grabbing then "Hey come watch a live stream of the GB U18 team play a round robin game against Estonia!" I know that's good enough for you, that's good enough for me, but that's not going to grow awareness of the sport in GB. It's no different in the host country. People are more likely to attend a game with meaning, rather then just another round robin game that may or may not mean anything. You're thinking about this as a fan like yourself who doesn't care about anything like GB but you have to think about the casual fans as well.
"We" being the national federation as a whole for not producing better players.

I see your point about growing the game but at junior level it really isn't an issue because hardly anyone in this country watches or cares about England U21 football so casual non- hockey fans certainly aren't going to be interested in GB U18 or U20 hockey. We simply do not have the Junior hockey culture of Canada or College sports culture of the USA. But at senior level yes, you have a point.

Darren Peng is offline   Reply With Quote