View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
You should do your research. They heavily entertained the notion of playing together. They had extensive coaching/advising on how to beat the system, i.e. not honouring their draft team and waiting a few years for their shot at free agency. They weren't stupid and did recognize the fact they might not be drafted together but they also figured they could just wait it out until their rights were released.
Many pre-draft articles including interviews conducted with the Sedins state this.
Of course they wanted to play together. And yes, I read about their agent providing them with options to circumvent the draft so they could stick together. But they didn't do any of that. In order to wait out their contracts, they would have had to move to North America and join a junior hockey team, which they didn't want to do. So they entered the draft thinking they'd likely play for different teams.

But 'heavily entertaining the notion of playing together' isn't the same thing as 'publicly announcing that they wouldn't play for different teams'.

From an interview with the Sedins:
Quote:
Q: Former Canucks GM Brian Burke made a draft-day deal to select both of you back in 1999. How prepared were you for the thought of playing on different teams?

Daniel: I remember expecting to play on different teams, actually. All the talk before the draft was that there was no way we would be able to play together, so we were ready to be apart. Then, five minutes before the draft, Thomas Gradin, the European scout for the Canucks, came up to us and told us that they were going to draft us both, so that was pretty exciting.

Last edited by Calculon: 04-05-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote