View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I don't see any team wanting Luongo unless the Canucks eat a portion of his salary. That's the reality of his contract.
His contract isn't a huge issue in and of itself. He gets paid 6.7m most of the duration of the contract. However his cap hit is 5.3m. For an all-star goalie that's a great number. But it's definitely a contract for a rich team.

The issue is that there's 9 years remaining. With the new rules there's some concern that should he retire early that team will be on the hook for him not finishing his contract. Additionally, in the final years while only getting paid 1-3m, he still carries that 5.3m cap hit. If he's not performing as an allstar goalie, then that 5.3m hit is brutal.

So while that's all an issue... having the Canucks eat part of his contract doesn't solve any of those issues (other than perhaps the last couple of years, which really isn't the main issue).