Old
04-05-2013, 06:05 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
good work OP. Puts things into perspective with draft picks.
i will probably still stick to my guns on how I feel about dealing draft picks for certain players. Sometimes it is worth it(See Grossman) other times it is not (See Kubina)
Sure some deals are bad in hindsight. I don't think the Kubina deal qualifies as "in hindsight" That was just terrible asset management by Holmgren. Not on the level of the Eminger deal tho. That was on a whole new level of bad.
How can you call the Kubina deal "terrible" even without hindsight? The Flyers were in the midst of a Cup Run and in a pretty bad need for a player that had Pavel Kubina's skill set. They traded a 2nd and a 4th rounder. What is terrible about it (without hindsight)? Kubina wasn't the player he used to be, but he was still a player that could fill a role the Flyers needed filled. You don't think it was ok to risk missing out on that 28% and 13% chance of a serviceable player to get a guy that probably had AT LEAST that percent chance to fill a role the team needed for a Stanley Cup run?

With hindsight, I agree, the trade sucked. He was not good here. But without hindsight, I don't see the issue with the trade. Was it an overpayment? Maybe a little. (maybe a third and a fourth? just a second?) But again I'd sacrifice a miniscule chance at a serviceable future NHL player for a miniscule chance to improve my chances at the Cup in most circumstances.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote