View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 07:25 AM
markrander87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
He was a rushing defenseman, but he was also an excellent skater and good defensively - like Red Kelly. I don't think they are a terrible match, but I'm not sure you can get the most out two rushing guys by playing them together. Thoughts?
I realize that they both can rush the puck, but they are both strong enough defensively as well to cover if one does go for a rush. It has a lot more too, but it shows how defensive minded Grant was.

This article here is critical as it actually has Grant explain his thought process on playing defense:

Quote:
And that a forward who advances toward their goals will have to distinct men to pass instead of two men. One directly and close behind the other.

During a tussel behind or to the side of the goals, the point and cover point should never leave their positions vacant. If the one leaves his place, the other should remain in front, but never should both be away, because the absence of these men from their proper positions is the cause of more games being lost than any other fault them may commit.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...t+hockey&hl=en

Quote:
Where are you getting that he was massive? 5'10" and 170 lbs for his era is big, but not huge. A fair size comparison would be a guy like Dion Phaneuf.
For a guy who played in the 1890's thats very large.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote