Thread: Great Britain: EPIHL and NIHL discussion thread
View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 08:40 AM
howeaboutthat

vCash: 500
Quote:
The less appealing to fans argument is nulled and void because the British players get better and there is no noticeable decline in standard of the league.
The UK doesn't have the infrastructure to support this rise in standard you believe will happen over time.

Once again its very simple. Player development is a triangle, the wider the base at the bottom, the more players you'll find who are rightly good enough to occupy the pointy bit at the top.

Your approach is back to front, with you seemingly believing that if you force the bit at the top wider over time the base will swell and produce. If the UK was a country where ice time wasn't an issue and rinks were plentiful and cheap to use (rather than few and far between and expensive) then you might have a point but it isn't. The suburbs of my home town have more rinks than this entire country and no amount of fiddling about with import limits is going to convince people holding the purse strings to start building the infrastructure needed.

Hell, my rec team struggled to get ice time (four weeks without any) at the UK's premier twin-pad facility because ice hockey over here is deemed less worthy of it than short-track speed skaters, figure skaters and Disney on Ice!

As I said before and said in this thread, these things often have very simple issues. In this case , a narrow 'base' of grass roots players, as a consequence of poor access to the necessary facilities, means the quality at the top will always be restricted. Increasing demand will just necessitate dipping lower down the 'triangle' for players.

Last edited by howeaboutthat: 04-05-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: spelling
howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote