Thread: Great Britain: EPIHL and NIHL discussion thread
View Single Post
04-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Dustin Peener
Rongos hockby
vCash: 1000
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
The UK doesn't have the infrastructure to support this rise in standard you believe will happen over time.

Once again its very simple. Player development is a triangle, the wider the base at the bottom, the more players you'll find who are rightly good enough to occupy the pointy bit at the top.

Your approach is back to front, with you seemingly believing that if you force the bit at the top wider over time the base will swell and produce. If the UK was a country where ice time wasn't an issue and rinks were plentiful and cheap to use (rather than few and far between and expensive) then you might have a point but it isn't. The suburbs of my home town have more rinks than this entire country and no amount of fiddling about with import limits is going to convince people holding the purse strings to start building the infrastructure needed.

Hell, my rec team struggled to get ice time at the UK's premier twin-pad facility because ice hockey over here is deemed less worthy of it than short-track speed skaters, figure skaters and Disney on Ice!

As I said before and said in this thread, these things often have very simple issues. In this case , a narrow 'base' of grass roots players, as a consequence of poor access to the necessary facilities, means the quality at the top will always be restricted. Increasing demand will just necessitate dipping lower down the 'triangle' for players.
no, I did quite clearly state "work on a proper junior development program"

Better junior development COMBINED with lower import limits will help. Lower import limits and more kids will see a future for themselves in the game and are more likely to start playing and existing players are less likely to quit or have work come first. So many good players do not reach their potential because there is no realistic career path for them, because of imports.

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote