Thread: Great Britain: EPIHL and NIHL discussion thread
View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 08:55 AM
howeaboutthat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Yes but the capacity utilisation of the current infrastructure is well below what it could be. Put competent people in charge of the governing body, proper development and guidance for coaches and officials and so forth. Infrastructure is not an excuse anymore, nations with less rinks and less players than us can produce NHL players but we cannot, so obviously we are doing something wrong.
It'll come as no surprise but, based on my experience of struggling for decent ice time due to competing demands, I completely disagree with your belief that facilities have poor utilisation. Here is the ice schedule for my local ice,

http://83.166.161.30/nic/assets/CURRENT_SCHEDULE.xls

Pretty packed.

Also, in charge of which governing body? All ice sports have their own governing bodies, all ice sports are competing for ice time.

Infrastructure, or lack of, is an entirely valid excuse in a country which is both losing rinks because of neglect due to mis-management and under-funding whilst also trying to share the remaining facilities between so many different users.

Quote:
Yes I'm an official based in Reading. I can get to Bracknell, Slough and Basingstoke in less than 30 minutes. I can get to Oxford, Swindon and Guildford in less than an hour. Brixton and Gosport would be pushing it, depending on traffic.
Which is great if you live in the Thames Valley area (I used to live near Fleet so was equally blessed for a while) but the situation in the Thames Valley is, dare I say it, fortuitous, rather than by design. Nor is it typical of the UK, and I believe we are talking about what is good for the sport in the UK as a whole aren't we?

Quote:
Hockey takes priority in Swindon. The GM Steve Nell buys the ice time for hockey from the council, he set up the Okanagan Hockey Academy there and basically said **** you to the figure skaters and bought all their ice time. Oh the irony when they were in the local paper complaining the hockey players took their ice... Just shows all it takes is someone with a vision to take the initiative and progress will be made. I am sure OHA will produce many good players over the next few years.
Which may work on a one off basis at a small, council-run rink, but its hardly an option at large, national facilities such as Ice Sheffield and the National Ice Centre, who has centrally secured funding which gives precedence to certain sports over others due to international competitive performance.

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote