View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 09:50 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
They didn't need a better D during the rebuild, so I wouldn't understand any complaints there. IMO, it really wouldn't have been valid to complain about the D until after the 2007-08 season. Up to that point, they needed to bed the young guys in.

Both the 2008-09 and 2009-10 defenses performed better than this one. I think the 2009-10 group was the better of the two. Good Poti was, all-around, on a level with Alzner this season. Dominant Green was better than this season's Green and Carlson combined. Non-negative Schultz was as good as anything we've had at the 2LD this year since Erskine's hot streak (which has been over for at least a dozen games now). Corvo was as good as this year's Carlson. And there's not much of a difference between the bottom pairing mish-mashes.

On Erskine, he had a good 10-15 games stretch, but has regressed back into his normal form since then. His snarl (which actually isn't applied all that much in the course of normal play) is causing him to be overrated. He's a decent #6, who's not a good match up, at all, for fast teams. He hasn't been 'awesome' for a while now. Should be a 14-15 minute/game defenseman, not 18-19.

Oleksy, as Erksine, should be a 14-15 minute/game guy. He's had some issues with his coverages, and gets overpowered more than his grit would indicate he should. Limiting his ice time would limit these occurrences. I know people like to point to Engellend as a comparable/example of why he can stick. Engelland gets under 14 minutes of ice time per game. That's why he sticks. Same should be applied to Oleksy.

Hillen is so bad. He skates well, but doesn't apply that skating ability into anything positive. No better than Sloan at this point.

Orlov and Kundratek aren't even on the team.
Well I'm not overly enamored with our current d-corps, but I thought Carlson played one of his better games of the season last night. Green always has been high risk high return, but he's looked real good the last few games with the puck on his stick. Thought Olesky is starting to show some of his flaws, last night he moved to defend an Islander who was already being defended by Erskine in front of the Caps goal and in so doing left his man wide open in the circle. I didn't realize that Olesky had played at Bridgeport for the Isles last year so perhaps they know his achilles heel, it seems Kundratek has the same problem when he faces the Rangers, those have been some of his worst games.

Just you mentioning Joe Corvo and Myst mentioning Dennis Wideman puzzles me. Yes our defense is not the best but to make reference to those two is just crazy talk. In Corvo's brief time here I thought he played horribly. I think Boston fans will agree regarding his performance with them as well and probably Canes fans would say the same this season. If ever the statement of addition by subtraction was made true, I think it applies to the likes of Corvo and Wideman no longer being in a Caps sweater. I think the Caps defense got better the day after each of those players left the team.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote