View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Xoggz22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
There were a lot of people in the Rangers board heavily criticizing Gaborik and questioning his continued ability going forward.

The thing with Gaborik is you're gambling he returns to form. At his best, he's much more productive than Nash. But he hasn't been lately.
Not necessarily. Columbus didn't even have a 30 goal scorer on the 50 man contract list. Sure there may be some potential but nothing that is proven. If Gaborik nets 30 goals per year at the expense of Brassard we've absolutely upgraded this team. If he "returns to form" it's gravy.

This is a solid trade for both teams, I'm not saying otherwise. Columbus moved pieces they could afford (two weren't playing and the other was an enigma in a position of depth). We didn't have a true top line talent. I get that Gaborik wasn't playing well with the Rangers and may have appeared to have lost a step but coming to the Columbus lineup devoid of offense it was a breath of fresh air to see a skill level like that - even if it was only one game.

Most people recognize that one game isn't going to define each player. We have history to pull from for averages and if that's anything close to what we get in Gaborik this trade is spectacular for Columbus regardless how it turns out for the Rangers. Brass wasn't going to be a 70 pt player in Columbus and as I said the others two players were expendible. I hope they all do well for the Rangers but as a fan, my only concern is how Gaborik works out.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote