View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 11:31 AM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Kunitz and Dupuis can turn anyone into a superstar

but seriously, I completely agree. You know who he'd probably look best with? One of each.

What are the chances the same can be said for Sid? I'd like to find out some day.
Sid's the best in the world. According to MTLPenFan, it should make no difference if Sid plays with Iggy and Dupuis or Kunitz and Dupuis.

This is the part that makes me laugh in all of this. The whole 'it doesn't matter who Sid plays with'. Yes it does. Why did he look so-so all that time with Malone? Why did he blow chunks with Satan and Sykora?

It's because there are guys who are good complements and there are guys who are not, and that affects ANYONE.

Sid's perfect linemate would be, IMO, a guy like Perry, Brown, or Ryan, a guy who's going to give you a Kunitz like game with better offensive instinct and the ability to make a play. You give him two guys like that, and you're golden.

With Malkin, the ideal linemate thing is more a sum of parts. For me, the ideal ALWAYS has been the Malone-Malkin-Sykora model. The finisher on one side but most important the puck retriever on the other.

Now, here's the funny thing: You give Sid a even a poor man's version of the perfect complements (Kunitz and Dupuis), and he's the best in the world. You give Malkin even a poor man's version of the perfect complements (Talbot being Malone, Feds being Sykora), and he's the best in the world.

Kunitz last year worked when he played the puck retriever role, but that's not a natural thing for him, not like it was with Malone or Talbot. Kunitz does it well enough. It works with Sid and Dupuis because the three of them puck retrieve in unison and strike quickly.

With Malkin, the model for what makes for the perfect complements is different. It's just that the organization has done a poorer job giving Malkin the complement he needs than they even have done with Sid, and the coach never recognized that it was Kunitz, not Neal, last year who helped Malkin go.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote