View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm a big Gardiner fan and not so much of Kostka, but I think management thinks they'd rather have a steady hand who is reliable 80% of the time and then makes mistakes 20% the rest of the time than a young defenseman who is basically never predictable or reliable defensively but spectacular offensively.

I'm actually half resigned to the idea that they may have given up on Jake Gardiner altogether and see him as a moveable chip in the offseason.
Gardiner's game was well suited for Ron Wilson pond, no defense hockey, however he must learn to play defense under Carlyle to earn playing time as that is the focus now.

Gardiner plays like he is forward often joining the rush and that leads to poor defensive responsibilities and coverage. That is something that would drive a coach crazy that wants to reduce scoring chances against.

Kostka while a depth player at best, usually plays within his limits and more conservative. Thus as you say Carlyle believes he is less likely and prone to defensive breakdowns so he is playing the odds. Its also why time was invested in Holzer hoping he would do the same.

O'Byrne will replace Kostka in the line-up before Gardiner will. Gardiner is earmarked to replace JM Liles as a PMD.