Old
04-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Viqsi
caution: bite hazard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
And here's something else to think about. I don't understand why our captain has to play so nice. The best D-men in his vain have always played with an edge, the latest two that come to mind are Pronger and Stevens. Why are we not wanting Weber to play like that? Yeah, he'll take a few more penalties but is the reward worth it? Other teams would not be as willing to engage if they knew they were going to get a Weber check into the boards or slammed to the ice. It would also ignite a fire under the guys on our bench to play with that same fire. When your leaders play under control, the rest of the team plays that way. Play on the edge or just past the line. It pays off. Instead, we have a coach and staff asking our best player to keep his emotions in check so he might not draw a penalty or two. I think it's a huge mistake. Weber when playing with that edge is a freaking beast. It brings excitement to the ice, the arena and the players. What's so bad about that? Why must we be nice. This is hockey, not yoga class. Play with fire. Play with emotion. I just don't see it from most of the guys this year and to think a guy like Tootoo brought that to the ice every night and we said we wouldn't miss it but we obviously do.

Let Weber loose. Let him play to his potential, not this controlled, contrived sort of way of hockey that he is supposed to stick to. Play to his strengths. Tick the guy off before the game. Make him mad. Kick him in the nuts if it gets him fired up. Cut his face with a high stick. Insult him. I don't care. Get the most out of him. Unleash the beast. A great coach would see this and get the most out of him. I'm just not seeing how this is the best Weber can be. It also gives our guys the confidence to know he's ready and willing to do battle. Lead and your troops follow suit.
I rather imagine Henrik Zetterberg would not be happy with this.

I also recall some folks getting really annoyed about Weber getting himself off the ice for 5 minutes in the first game of the year after scrapping with Jared Boll.

Congratulations to all Las Vegas area hockey fans, present and future!