View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't agree that Beaulieu has the highest ceiling, he may but I think Kristo/Collberg/Hudon all have very high ceilings. I actually wasn't overly impressed with Beaulieu in his NHL callups, he's got a lot of holes in his defensive play (decision making/position) I think he needs a lot of work in his own end so I have concerns about how his defensive issues are going to effect him at the NHL level.

For me I put Tinordi higher as I was more impressed with him in Hamilton this year then Beaulieu as Tinordi brings something we sorely need. I liked Tinordi more in both the NHL and AHL vs Beaulieu, even though I don't think Tinordi's upside is higher, I think he's much more likely to hit it whereas Beaulieu I still have lots of questions. Beaulieu can really wow with his play in the offensive zone but he also can be flat out bad in his own end.

As for Kristo, no one knows how he will adjust to the pro game but his skill level is really high, he can do so much with the puck at high speed that I think he's going to do very well. But we'll see how it goes for him next year when he has to play a full season.
I agree with your reasoning behind Tinordi over Beaulieu but as far as I'm concerned (like a couple people have posted) I'd put Beaulieu ahead of Tinordi on the sole purpose that if Beaulieu works on those things you mentionned earlier (which he can do over the next year in the AHL) he would be ahead of Tinordi on the depth chart. Obviously Tinordi is the safer bet to reach his potential as that tough #4 defenseman who can kill penalties. Beaulieu impressed me with his vision but like you said he still has to learn some things defensively when it comes to positioning or gaining strenght (which is the one thing he has to put the most emphasis during the summer IMO, he was getting way too outmuscled in his short stint, and it wasn't by imposing players either). I see Beaulieu as a bigger John Michael Liles in a couple years.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote