View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I don't know what Gardiner's future will be in Toronto. Yes, there's a playoff race going on, but if you have integral young core pieces, this is where they need to be learning to play. I can see them moving him out for a Couturier type forward prospect in the summer with Rielly coming up. Carlyle doesn't seem to have the inclination to get through the growing pains.
Morgan Rielly and Gardiner have very similar games in strengths and weaknesses both great PMD but weak defensively due to their desire to push offense rather than play defense.

If Carlyle is finding it difficult to play Gardiner than he will have similar concerns with Rielly. So it does appear that Leafs have a surplus of this type of defender although as I believe their goal is to supplant Liles (who also sat out a month) because of his poor defense.

Kostka is simply a seat filler for this season, and that is because of all the dead cap space Leafs have to deal with this year due to poor signings of the past. When you have over $10 mil allocated to players not playing on your team you have to find cheap interim substitutes as in Kostka's case.