Thread: Great Britain: EPIHL and NIHL discussion thread
View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 11:11 AM
howeaboutthat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
What? So you're saying an on ice officials view of rec hockey having no bearing on junior development whatsoever (because it doesn't) is the reason why our grass roots development is bad?
Laugh all you want, your attempt to belittle my point rather than debate it only compounds the point.

Junior hockey and rec hockey aren't mutually exclusive. If parents get involved in hockey it can help develop a culture of hockey. It ceases to be an expensive hobby that parents sign their kids up for, which unless said child is very good, ends at 16/18 and becomes a familar, inclusive, part of family life.

Coming from a state where hockey is everywhere this is how high participation (and therefore quality at the top end, the goal of this discussions believe) is maintained. If you want this little old hockey backwater to develop into something more then it is an attitude that needs to be encouraged, not scoffed at.

Your views may not have a direct bearing but I'd argue that your views are, at least in part, a product of the hockey culture in the UK, a culture in which you participate, and therefore indicative of prevailing attitudes. Indeed, as I said, you are far from the only person involved in UK hockey who I've heard such comments from.

Last edited by howeaboutthat: 04-05-2013 at 11:18 AM.
howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote