View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 01:02 PM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Watching last night as Toronto was mounting a comeback against the Flyers, it was evident what our biggest problem is. Our inability to get out of the defensive zone and enter the neutral zone and start a forecheck is putting so much pressure on the D and on Bryz.

Everytime a team pins us in our zone it seems like it takes a miracle just to get the puck up ice far enough for a line change. Or someone has to elevate the puck so it just barely moves and can't be called an icing. This is our weakness and everyone in the NHL knows it, and they game plan around it.

While watching the Blues/ Hawks game last night i watched but focused merely on how the D get's it out of the zone. These are my observations.

1. Forwards for the Hawks and Blues were about 75 percent responsible for getting the puck out of the D zone.

2. No more than 1 pass was used to accomplish this. usually a winger would stop a puck along the boards, advance as far as he could and then pass to the center where a streaking forward was there to receive the pass and skate forward.

3. Chicago and the Blues did not put as much pressure on each other because of 1 reason. Both have players capable of catching the D creeping up and getting a breakaway, this happened with patrick kane numerous times and Tarasenko a couple of times. Just the Threat of a breakaway really puts pressure on the D.

All this time I thought the Flyers needed more mobile D men , and in some degree we do, to advance the puck out of our zone but it seems to me the problem is our slow forwards, especially at center.
Not sure they are slow just that they were not coming back shallow enough to take the outlet pass. This was commented on by a few of the dmen and bryz and I think it was at least a little addressed recently.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote