View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 03:51 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
The reason for it is that we never finished rebuilding because the fans were saying that we need to make the playoffs every year because if we make the playoffs, then we have the chance to win the Cup, a preposterous argument for anyone who's taken even elementary school level statistics.

If we had more quality young players, we wouldn't need to do all of this. Look up front: how much movement do you see among Staal-McD-Girardi-MDZ? Not much because they are quality players who are in our long-term plans. Same for the goalie situation with Lundqvist.

If we had another Stepan, we'd never have signed Richards to a massive contract. If we had a 65 point scoring young winger developed in our own farm, we would've never signed Gabby. But that didn't happen because the management was never allowed to trade away all the vets for picks and prospects, while allowing the team to finish low and pick early.

Finishing in the 7-10 spot is literally the worst outcome for a team. Either finish top 5 and compete for the Cup or finish bottom 5 and get a good young player.
I disagree with your sentiment that fans couldn't deal with a rebuild. The fans were ready heading into that lockout. There was a huge firesale. We signed stop gaps. Jagr and Co. achieved unexpected success. I think ownership has always been concerned about selling the expensive seats and filling the luxury boxes/suites.

I do agree with your thoughts about not having enough top end talent. I know a few people on here continually talk about the 2003 draft but that was one that really hurt. Obviously, we had a late pick and Hugh Jessiman was looked at as a potential player by other teams, but when you look at that talent in the first round, could have changed alot. Also, if you rewind further to 1999 draft, when we tried an accelerated rebuild and acquired two top 10 picks that busted...

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote