View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 03:56 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Dump and chase was working for the first couple of periods last night. The forecheck was giving the Jackets fits, especially the first. We were generating chances, there were bodies in front of the net, they boys did everything right for the first 2 periods of hockey. 3rd period I think they just ran out of gas. The schedule hasn't been kind.
As far as Goose playing instead of Smith, when Smith learns to play the system instead of free lancing, he'll get his chance. Until then he'll get limited minutes. I don't care who you are or how much you've been signed for if you don't play inside the system you cause more problems then you solve. Unless he was producing a goal a game there isn't a coach in the NHL that will put him out for top minutes. Goose may not have the skill, but he played a solid game and that line created some good chances.
And before anyone says it, when everyone plays the system like they did last night we would win more then we lose. We ran into a red hot goalie last night. He was making saves he didn't even know he made. Position was perfect, his vision was dead on, Bob just plain and simple was the better goalie and that's why the Jackets won.
While a lot of your post is spot on, I know you coach so explain the purpose of a dump and chase. If it's to set up a forecheck I get that, but all the time? Isn't the purpose to get in behind the defense and regain control of the puck before they do as opposed to trying to skate it through their blue line? I don't expect every one to work but if all we're doing is setting up for the forecheck it's a one trick recipe for disaster. I think we have to keep teams guessing what we're going to do and I'm just tired of seeing the same old thing. I'm happy to learn something from you at the same time because I may be missing something in all of this.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote