View Single Post
04-05-2013, 04:25 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
I can't respond to your whole quote because I'm at work (****ing busy day) but I think the whole contract issue really scared the team. They saw a pretty good deal with 3 pieces that the Rangers actually really needed right now! So essentially they opened one hole while filling three. With Staal out they needed a D-man that wasn't as bad as Hamrlik and Eminger who have both been disasters. They had no grit this year, so Dorsett will help with that and Boyle/Powe as the 3rd and 4th centers just weren't cutting it.

So again, while i don't fully like the move in the moment, will see how it plays out. Gaborik needed to go in the off-season regardless, maybe they would have gotten a pick maybe they wouldnt have. Remember, Sather was involved with a similar deal just last year, but on the other side, in Nash. Nash's trade value went down at the draft and Howson ended up getting less than the supposed initial offer (per outside sources.)

At the end of the day, we don't really know, maybe a team throws out a big offer desperately, but I think they probably got as much as they thought they could, while filling significant holes and allowing flexibility to sign Steps, McD and Hags, and potentially Clowe as well.

Again, I think it's much more relative to the situation rather than any attitude/management hate towards Gabby. He was one of the best goal scorers to put on a Ranger uniform but sometimes the math just doesn't work in your favor.
I agree with the "opening one hole by filling three" but IMO, it's harder to fill a hole of Gaborik's caliber than of Brassard, Moore, etc. Players like Gaborik are rare... not many score 40 goals often.

As a Devils fan, I'm pretty happy with the trade. I think it makes the Rangers less scary/competitive overall but extends their 'window' by a year or two (I was previously of the opinion that they would be a heavy contender for the cup this year and next year.. now I think they can still get back to that status but it's going to take another move or a breakout or two but they're a safer bet at competing for another 3-4 years). They would have been okay salary wise next year unless Clowe is asking for the moon (and the more I read about it, the more that seems like). I don't expect any of the RFAs to get huge paydays.

This trade is basically a flip of the Nash trade. People on this board blasted Howson for that trade.. but the Rangers gave up a lot IMO. Roster players are more valuable than futures. Columbus also gave up a lot in terms of depth players. Back to square one, essentially last year's team with Nash instead of Gaborik.

Would I take Nash over Gaborik? Personally, no. Nash has impressed but Gaborik has the higher peak. Couldn't get there this year but if I'm building a contender, Gaborik's a guy I want on my team. What I've seen this year from Nash is that he needs the puck on his stick to be super-effective. He's not the type of player that will sneak into open ice, receive a pass and snipe it top corner. Don't get me wrong, Nash has an incredible skill-set and is among the best players in the league... but Gaborik scares you with and without the puck. You can gameplan for Nash, he's most dangerous when he has the puck and you're already focusing on him. You can't do the same with Gaborik who opens up ice for his teammates because opponents need to make sure they know where he is and have him covered even when he doesn't have the puck.

The biggest thing from this trade is that Tortorella isn't going anywhere anytime soon. This was a complete vote of confidence in Torts. This was "we're going to trade our 40 goal scorer because he doesn't fit with the style of players you want." Now he has more of his type of players.. but at a decent expense.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote