View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Nullus Reverentia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
No but Dave Branch is paranoid and obsessed with not losing high end talent to the US. To me the idea that he was given status to make sure he wasn't lost to USA Hockey does make sense even if he had hurdles to clear before playing for them. Exceptional players shouldn't be going fourth overall. You can question teams like the Erie Otters passing on him because how they've been mismanaged for years but the Ottawa 67's are a good organization and it sounds like Konecny wasn't even that tough of a choice (their scouts unanimously agreed Konecny was the best player available if you believe their press conference). The guys who actually make a living in hockey are passing on Sean Day. Draft position doesn't really matter, he got the status and is gonna play in the league next year, it's up to him to live up to the status. I would still like to see him go to Erie.

This whole process is weird, every media scout I'm reading loves Day, yet not one but three OHL teams passing on him?
I can't believe that because Kilrea does scouting for them and it's pretty clear he thinks Day is one of the best players that he's seen in his lifetime. They were set on Konecny forever it seems, perhaps their scouts just couldn't let go.

I wouldn't be surprised if Day (When he got exceptional status) said he would refuse to play for certain teams, Peterborough would definitely be on that list and even with McDavid I bet Erie was too.

Every person who's talked thought Day was the unanaminous best player, but three teams who've barely talked about it (Except for Ottawa today) have/are going to pass on him. Maybe this isn't such a bad thing though. Erie and Peterborough aren't great places to develop.