View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Khelvan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
You can if you are discussing mechanical aspects of his game. His speed is very much there and his release was very sharp.
In my personal opinion, watching him every game with the Rangers, Gaborik's quick release and speed are still there, but the velocity on his shot dropped about a year ago, around the time it was speculated that he was injured. It hasn't seemed the same since.

He started going to the ugly areas of the ice and scoring more garbage goals, tip-ins and such, and his accuracy is still there, but that laser wrister that used to be by goaltenders before they even saw the puck seems to be missing. I hope he gets it back/it isn't permanently gone, because if so, Columbus has a player that may exceed his previous goal totals having learned to score in more ways rather than just being a sniping ninja.

That, and being very pleasantly surprised by how Nash dominates a game almost every shift, is why I was ok with Gaborik being traded this season. I hope he turns it around in Columbus, and that the players the Rangers received develop well. If so, it's a win-win for both teams.

Honestly though, I've speculated for a year that it was actually a shoulder injury that dropped his shot velocity, and I wonder if he'll ever recover. Just watch the NHL highlights for his goals 2-3 seasons ago and this season. Notice how they were scored then vs. scored now. You'll see a noticeable difference.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote