View Single Post
Old
04-05-2013, 05:15 PM
edmontonislesfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I think our system is to the point where we can take those later round chances.

Also I share your thought on Ristolinen
We all know the Islanders have done very well with later round (say three and up) draft choices since 2008. They are obviously doing something right. At the risk of not knowing how many players the Islanders may have under contract this fall in the organization and what openings there may be in Bridgeport, the following two older players might be considered who have been passed over in two consecutive drafts:

JC Lipon- RW Kamloops Blazers- Did not come into his own until this year. Make the Canadian Junior Team (Christmas 2012) and is a leading scorer so far in the WHL playoffs. No longer under the radar, he may need to be taken in the third round.

Myles Bell- LW Kelowna Rockets- Was not drafted due to serious legal and health issues associated with a car crash in 2011 (don't want to say any more).
Previously played defense, and could be brought along as an offensive defenseman or a (semi) power forward. Someone is going to take a chance on him and why not the Islanders, who did an excellent job with Casey Cizikas. Might be available in the fifth round due to the circumstances, although his skill level is far higher than that.

Another player with Kamloops, Brendan Ranford- LW, may be worth considering as an overage free agent. He was drafted by the Flyers in 2010 (seventh round), but never signed, and had a tryout with Montreal last year. The rap on him has been that he is small, is a bad skater, and has a bad attitude. If all of this were true, he would be the worst hockey player in history. However, although his height (5' 10") won't increase, he has put on weight (182 lbs.), his skating has improved, and he is popular with his teammates, coaches and fans. He will likely come cheap (which the Islanders would like), and might be worth a chance if there is a place in the organization.

Kelowna is playing Kamloops in the second round of the playoffs. Kelowna lost the first three games to Seattle, all in overtime, and then won the next four, two in overtime.

Edmonton is playing Medicine Hat- Lazar v. Shinkaruk. BTW, when I previously said Curtis Lazar had "adequate" size and skating, I meant adequate in comparison to those players being considered in the first half of the first round of the 2013 Draft. His speed is NHL-quality already.