View Single Post
Old
04-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Erick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
It isnt that stupid if he is the BPA but a defenseman will not be the face of the franchise. Nashville doesnt have one. There is Shea Weber but he isnt that face. Look at Chicago, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina and many many more...

Offensive superstars will sell tickets you cant deny that. It is much more fun if you watch a game in which they score a lot of goals instead of shutting other team down..I dont think anyone would be comfortable with having a shutdown D and Clemmensen in goal.

And we ALWAYS had problems scoring goals so that should end it!
Personally, I don't care if it sells tickets.
At the end of the day, the only thing that truly sells tickets is winning.

There have been defensemen who have been looked at as faces of their franchise. Weber would be the face of Nashville, but it just so happens that they have Pekka Rinne, an outstanding goaltender, on their team. Just like we have Jacob Markstrom and Jonathan Huberdeau here.

Was Nick Lidstrom not the face of the Detroit Red Wings before retiring? Is Erik Karlsson the face of the Ottawa Senators? I don't know who the face of the Boston Bruins is, but I'm guessing Zdeno Chara is up there on the list, no? And on, and on, and on.

The point is that defensemen, (especially defensemen who play half a game and are well-rounded), are extremely valuable, as well.

The face of our playoff team last year that sold tickets was a defenseman, as well, for what it's worth.

Let's take the BPA. The guy who is going to help us win the most. That could be a forward, absolutely. But it could also be the defenseman. Keep an open mind about it.