View Single Post
Old
04-06-2013, 04:12 AM
JetsFan815

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Personally, I don't care if it sells tickets.
At the end of the day, the only thing that truly sells tickets is winning.

There have been defensemen who have been looked at as faces of their franchise. Weber would be the face of Nashville, but it just so happens that they have Pekka Rinne, an outstanding goaltender, on their team. Just like we have Jacob Markstrom and Jonathan Huberdeau here.

Was Nick Lidstrom not the face of the Detroit Red Wings before retiring? Is Erik Karlsson the face of the Ottawa Senators? I don't know who the face of the Boston Bruins is, but I'm guessing Zdeno Chara is up there on the list, no? And on, and on, and on.

The point is that defensemen, (especially defensemen who play half a game and are well-rounded), are extremely valuable, as well.

The face of our playoff team last year that sold tickets was a defenseman, as well, for what it's worth.

Let's take the BPA. The guy who is going to help us win the most. That could be a forward, absolutely. But it could also be the defenseman. Keep an open mind about it.
And how many of those defensemen you mentioned were drafted in top 10 let alone first overall? The fact is defensmen are very hard to project, their game is harder to translate at the NHL level then forwards. Most elite defensemen were late picks. I think whichever teams win the lottery is screwed, they are going to get pressured into drafting Jones who may or maynot be an impact player over players like McKinnon, Drouin and Barkov. The fact is you can find great dmen later in the draft (Karlsson 16th overall, Lidstrom 3rd round pick, Subban 2nd round pick, Enstrom 8th round pick, Chara 3rd round pick, Letang 2nd round pick, Mike Green 27th overall the list goes on ...) whereas it is rare to find an elite forward in later rounds. While I'm not saying drafting Jones at 1st overall is a waste of a pick, it's better to draft a forward and then draft multiple dmen in 2nd-3rd and 4th rounds. The odds of getting two good players are better that way.