Thread: Player Discussion: Derek Dorsett
View Single Post
04-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Seasons Greetings
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
There are a lot of differences of opinion on Avery here. He was definitely not loved by all Rangers fans. That being said the 'dirty player' rep was way overblown. Can't think of one player whose career he ended with a cheap or even a legal hit. There was not a long line (or even much of a line) of players who had to go to the emergency room or even a hospital because of him. His one suspension in his career wasn't for an on ice incident but for mouthing off about an ex girlfriend. He was an agitator who played a very aggressive physical game (for his size anyway) with a no holds barred mouth. He was very good if not the best at that--and sometimes he'd skate away rather than face the music. There's no doubt a lot of players hated him but it was more about hurt feelings than anything else. He wasn't Ulf Samuelsson, Darius Kasparaitis, Patrick Kaleta or Matt Cooke.
Agreed 100%.

Anyone who uses Avery and dirty in the same sentence or breath is biased beyond all bias, and never watched Avery perform any of his antics on ice, ever. The guy was never suspended for a dirty hit, and never made anything even remotely close to what is considered a dirty play by most standards. I can't even remember him dropping an intentional slewfoot.

Avery was a pest, Avery was a cocky ****-head who played a psychological game and knew how to take people off their own. You can argue all day whether or not it was respectful of the sport, classy or anything in that vein, and probably make a good case against him. However, no one can make a legitimate case for Avery being a dirty player by any stretch of the imagination without outright lying or confusing the terms dirty and agitator.

Like him or not he's not even in the same universe as Kaleta, Cooke, Torres, etc.

Edit: On topic, I am looking forward to see what kind of game Dorsett brings and for what it is worth I hope he is in the same vein as Avery. We miss that presence.