Thread: Player Discussion: Mats Zuccarello
View Single Post
Old
04-06-2013, 12:05 PM
NickyFotiu

vCash: 500
Quote:
-I cannot explain why Zuccarello didn’t play in overtime, and neither could Tortorella after the game.

“Yeah, I decided to go with the other guys,” Tortorella said when asked what had kept Zuccarello on the bench.

Several Rangers forwards created scoring chances, but I thought Zuccarello arguably was New York’s best player – you could say Nash, too – particularly in the third period. He was turning plays right back into the offensive zone from the neutral zone, He had eight shifts that lasted one minute or longer, including one that went 1:28.

Tortorella maybe still does not trust Zuccarello defensively, but don’t put Brad R

In the third period, Zuccarello nearly scored when a shot on Fleury bounced over the goaltender and just over the crossbar. On the same play, Zuccarello retrieved the puck behind the net, weaved and found Clowe in front, but the shot whistled by into the boards for a frustrating missed opportunity.

Of course, when Rangers such as Zuccarello, Anton Stralman, Boyle, Richards and Arron Asham all got quality, solid shots on goal, Fleury was there to clean it up mostly with his left pad and his glove.

Here are Zuccarello’s postgame comments:

On whether this was his best game so far: “I’m getting more and more comfortable with everything, so I think I’m playing better and better, but we lose, so it doesn’t really matter.”

On whether he thinks Rangers played well: “Yeah. I think we played a good game. I think it was a game we should have won if you see the chances, but that’s hockey. We got an important point, so we just have to battle through it, because we have an important game tomorrow.”

On his shootout attempt: “I should have held it a little longer, but he made a good save. It’s what happens.”

On whether he was itching to play in overtime: “Well, I mean there are so many good players here, so obviously everybody wants to play, but the ones who were playing were doing a hell of a job. You just want the team to win, but obviously everyone who sits on the bench wants to play.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...rl-hagelin-mis