View Single Post
Old
04-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

vCash: 500
I think Lombardi doesn't draft BPA. He drafts BVA with the V standing for "value." He'll look at things from character to play style and position...thus his Hickey over Voracek pick. In the end, if you're not drafting for need, might as well pick the player who will be worth the most in trade for later. Then he drafts by need. He rarely drafts BPA at all.

I think DL has shown he values PMDs first, especially RH shots, then two-way centers with upside second, and then the rest. Obviously character and grit, and now Sutter-size and skating come in to play now. The skewing of values is significant enough to affect BPA quite a bit. For example it's better to him to draft a PMD RH shot that's one tier less talented than a winger forward because if they both develop, the PMD will be worth more than two tiers more.

Also, DL has shown very clearly how he likes his highest paid players, the players most talented and thus take up the most cap, to be Dmen, centers and then goalie. And we have that right now with Doughty and Kopitar, and then Quick.

As for drafting goaltenders, I think we don't have enough goalies of a certain developmental level (2-3 years in dev, 1 year away from NHL) but I doubt we find one in the draft unless that player somehow is an overager. I'd rather sign a 25 yo as a UFA or trade for one with a low pick than draft one this year in the first four rounds.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote