View Single Post
Old
04-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Hawkey Town 18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
They should not be "decided", at all. That is just the point, and perhaps the problem. Deciding to remove player x in season y because you think that his teammate was an outlier is not a method, but a fudge.

Maybe the system could be improved by some sort of further rule? I dunno. If player x in the outlier tier is above a certain threshold, then any line/teammates are automatically removed from the algorithm. Maybe this would be of some use? Why don't you suggest a method? We could test it out and see if it yields results that seem more reasonable than what we have at present. The only thing I am sure of in all of this is that we cannot simply remove players based on some sort of gut feeling.
I think we're getting somewhere here. Your bolded suggestion is a good place to start. We will still partially be going by our gut feeling, because as you said, it's kinda trial and error until we see something that looks right, but a threshold is a good way to make sure we're treating every case equally, which is what I think you are looking for.

I'm still not sure what to do about Orr. I have a feeling that a separate set of rules for defensemen is the beginning of the answer though.

EDIT: I probably won't have time today, but when I do have some I will do my part to contribute to a solution.

Hawkey Town 18 is online now   Reply With Quote